45 Questions to Ask a Wedding Venue
Once your ceremony is finished, you can relax a little -- the hardest part of the day is over! Imagine how excited you’ll be to celebrate with family and friends at the reception of your dreams. Before booking, there are many questions to ask a wedding venue to ensure it’s a perfect match. Use this handy wedding venue checklist at each one you visit to help you decide, and ensure you have everything you want. Once you’ve chosen a venue, make sure you understand all the terms, details and costs in your contract before you sign, so there are no surprises later. Here’s a sample list of questions to ask a wedding venue.
- Is my first choice of dates available? If not, what other dates are available?
- How many receptions or other events will be booked for the same day?
- What is the typical schedule for the entire event, from cocktail hour to end?
- Do costs vary depending on the season, day of the week, or time of day?
- How many guests can be accommodated?
- Will the bride have a special room for changing?
- Will the bridal party have a special room where they can relax?
- Could we hold our ceremony here if needed? Is there an added fee?
- Is there adequate on-site parking? Is it free? Valet?
- How many bathroom facilities and where are they located?
- Is there a coat check?
- Are there any elevators?
- Are there special accommodations for disabled guests?
- Is there room for a DJ/band and/or dancing? When can they set up?
- Does the venue own a sound system, or will that need to be rented?
- Do you work with specific vendor partners? Must we use them?
Are there any limitations on working with outside vendors?
- Are lighting, tables, linens, chairs, plates, silverware and glassware provided/included?
- May we supply our own items such as centerpieces, a candy bar, favors? When could we drop these items off?
- Are there any decoration limitations? Can we use candles?
- Do you have pictures of recent weddings held in the same space?
- Who will I be working with here on wedding/reception planning? Can I meet them now?
- What type of security is available for our event?
- Do you have liability insurance? Will we need to have our own? Do vendors need their own?
- If the venue is at a hotel, when can we reserve a block of rooms for guests? Is there a special rate? Can Welcome Bags be given to my guests at check-in?
- What is the fee for the location and what all is included for that price?
- How much is needed for a deposit? When due? What are the accepted payment methods? Is it refundable?
- What’s the payment plan for the rest of the bill?
- Are there any extra service charges, gratuities, cleaning fees, or overtime charges?
- What's the cancellation policy?
- When is the last possible date that we can make changes?
Food & Drink:
- Is there an in-house caterer?
- Do we have to use that caterer? If not, is there a limitation on which outside caterers we can use?
- Is there a price difference between a buffet and a sit-down dinner?
- Do you have a liquor license?
- What is your pricing for alcohol?
- Will you allow us to bring in our own liquor? Can we give wine as a favor?
- Is the wedding cake included? May I bring in my own if we want? Is there a cake-cutting fee?
- Can you accommodate special dietary needs?
- What is the per-person cost for food and beverage?
- Will there be a menu tasting so we can choose our final menu? Is there a charge for this?
About the Big Day:
- If outdoors, what is the backup plan for rain or inclement weather?
- Are there any restrictions for the photographer? Videographer?
- How long will I have use of the space? What time will my guests have to leave?
- Who is responsible for setting up and taking down the decor, and when will it be completed?
- Who will I be working with on the day of our wedding?
We hope this wedding venue checklist was helpful in developing your questions to ask wedding venues and in narrowing down your choices. No matter how careful you are in planning, however, things can go wrong along the way. That’s why it’s a good idea to help protect yourself and your investment in your wedding with
wedding insurance from WedSafe. Coverage is more affordable than you may think and once it’s in effect, losses for covered events will be quickly reimbursed. Get a
no-cost, no-obligation quote today. Then move forward with confidence knowing you have coverage. WedSafe provides peace-of-mind for your biggest and most beautiful day!